Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Signature Inn Dayton, Ohio

aerial imagery courtesy of Bing Maps
map graphic courtesy of signature-inns.com at archive.org

Signature Inn added seven locations in 1987, one of which was their Dayton, Ohio, location.  This hotel was built on the south side of town on the other side of I-75 from the Dayton Mall.
an overview of the Dayton location
a canopy shot of the Dayton location
This hotel was built, possibly due to the configuration of the lot, without the ell that was common on their other hotels.  Still, somehow this hotel managed to have 125 rooms (at least according to the hotel's old website).

As with many other locations, this still retains its classic 1987 look.

As I stated before in my January 3, 2016 "Looking Back" post, this ended up being the third Signature Inn I had come across.  I knew of one in the Cincinnati area (which will be the next blog post) and one in the Canton area since the early 1990s, but it was on my drive home from work one evening when I spotted an old painted-on billboard advertising Signature Inn.  The vinyl wrap had been removed, exposing the billboard's original message.
A nighttime shot of the billboard.  Being December and with my work hours they way they were, it was always dark when I passed by
I had a chance to take a daytime shot of the billboard about 3 weeks after I took the nighttime shot.  I'm glad I had the opportunity to capture this; it ended up being covered up the next day.

Back to the building itself...
the stairwell area of the building with the sign in the background
This hotel was sold in June 2005, before many other Signature Inns started wearing the Jameson Inn banner.  It was a Days Inn prior to its current branding, Quality Inn & Suites.

looking at the hotel from route 725 across I-75
sources for this post include the Montgomery County, Ohio, auditor's website, signature-inns.com archived at archive.org, jamesoninns.com archived at archive.org, and imagery found through Bing Maps.

Photographs not accredited in their captions were taken by me.  These and additional photos can be found here: Formerly Signature Inn by Ryan on Flickr

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to capture the billboard in daylight too, and I really like the wide shot from route 725!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good catch. Sometimes I fail to photograph something and wind up kicking myself for that later. That wasn't gonna happen this time! Also glad you like the wide shot. Some times a red light is good for something!

      Delete