Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Why Signature Inn???

logo from the archived version of signature-inns.com at archive.org

Over the last six months, I've been researching the history of Signature Inn hotels.  Why???  I stayed in one in Cincinnati with the family back in 1991 and I don't know if it was the look of the building itself, the look of the lobby, or the logo (maybe a combination of the three) that really stood out to me.  I ended up getting a directory and a pen from the hotel...both, unfortunately long gone.  At least I still have the memory!

I also remember seeing one in Canton near Belden Village Mall...I noticed at one point the Signature Inn name was gone from the building and was curious as to why it became another hotel.  But since that was before the advent of the internet, there wasn't much else to do but wonder.

My interest became rekindled within the last year when I started working within a 15 minute drive of one of the former Cincinnati locations.  I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that was the location we stayed in all those years ago.  It, too, is another hotel chain, and I really started wondering what happened to them.  Thankfully I now have the internet that wasn't available to me 20 years ago.

Since beginning this project, I found that the chain was more far-reaching than the two locations I knew of.  I was also able to trace the history from the hotel's inception to its eventual demise.  Now with all of the information I have, the trick is to figure out how to present it.  I plan on adding information somewhere between once a week and once every two weeks.

It's been a fun journey so far and hopefully I'll come up with some more information as this project progresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment